First Impression of KMNS

Assalamualaikum,

I did not really know how to feel about college. I was not exactly excited neither was I sad. Which everyone expected me to be actually. It would be my first time away from home. I would be sleeping and eating there. No mother to comfort me and baby me anymore. I would be alone. In some sense anyway.

I feel like college would be my steping stone on being independent and being a grown up. Though, I still feel like a child. College reminds me of school. That maybe due to the fact, my old school was specially built to look like a college. As I step into the room I would be sleeping, I was reminded of my school. The bedroom was okay. It was not small and crowded like I had expect.

Many of my old classmates was here. So, for me, it really did feel like school. The rest of my classmates seem to be hanging out together. I run into them quite a few times. The way they hang out was also was the same. Separated into two groups, the loud ones and then the quite ones. Everytime I pass by them, we would wave at each other.

It has only been a few days since I have been in college. Though the fact we have to gather in one place suffocates me. Us all shoulder to shoulder, packed like sardines. That was the only con. Plus, I would also only experience it this week as it is orientation week. There are so many pros such as me never really being alone. I have friends which truthfully I did not expect to get as soon as I got here. I expected to be alone for a few weeks or even months before I got one.

I do admit I feel a little homesick. I was quite spoiled at home. Free to do what I want. I miss my mother. The other day I was ill and I was reminded of how she would comfort me at times like this. I did not cry. Though my sister teased me and said that I would. My second little sister has been to boarding school. So she can relate to how I feel.

My roommates are really nice. There is a sense of muturity in both of them. One of them has been to a boarding school before and seems to get the jist of things easier. I have made a friend in my class, we both met at the surau. We happened to both forgot to bring our papers and asked the facilitator about it. We did not know we were in the same class. We met again in the hall not long after and realised we saw each other before.

I have not been here long enough to say I finally get how things go here. But I realize one thing, do not panic. If you mess up or need help. Ask for it. Do not be shy. They would help you as much as they can. Do not suffer alone, especially when you don't need to.

In many ways I am scared. I still do not know exactly what to expect. Can I keep up with my studies? Knowing even my parents struggled, makes feel like I have to climb an insurmountable wall. I have to step up my game. Give it my all, no way around it. There is never really an easy road to success. You need to lose some sweat and blood in the journey towards victory. (Okay, the blood is overboard. Don't.)

There are many things I have to change. I mean mostly my lifestyle. I have never been to a boarding school so I am not used to waking up early and having to eat while you can. But like I have mentioned before, I barely started college so this is just the beginning. I have not fully endured the harshness of college. I need to brace myself and prepare for the worst. Okay, I admit that I may sound negative. But so far this is what I am told to do by so many people who has been here.

Comments

Popular Posts