Handling a program

Assalamualaikum,

Recently I had to handle a program. My first time. I had never really gotten involved in helping out in events. So I was absolutely clueless about what I had to do. The worst part of it was I just randomly chose a position without actually understanding the responsibilities of that role.

I did have a partner, who unfortunately was just as knowledgeable as I was in the role we have taken. Brilliant. I must have annoyed the leader with tons of questions. I was not joking when I said I had no idea on what to do, even after it was explained. In my defence, it was kinda vague, the explanation. At least in the eyes of a total amateur, it was vague.

For some reason, in a way, I became the lead in this duo. Which I was not prepared to be. I was the one who communicated with the other members to make it work.

I don't feel entirely mad at him, cause' in a way, there wasn't much we needed to do and he had tried, I think. He offered help whenever I asked. It's just I end up doing it cause he sometimes delays it. And because I usually am the one communicating with the leader I end up being told straight away what I need to fix and do. So I just do it straight away. If I wait for him, then when will it'd be done.

Also, I know how it feels to be in that position where somehow I end up doing nothing cause' my partner is just way more efficient then I am and justs end up doing it all on her own. He apologized a lot too cause he felt guilty, so I can't be mad. I can relate.

I have mixed feeling about the day of the event though. I feel useful (which I rarely do) and useless at the same time. I did help, and guiding the participants during the event was fun, I learned a thing or two myself. Found some SAIS students.

I feel betrayed in a way, cause' my job consists of knowing the plan and telling others what to do during that time, but the seniors and lecturers had it all planned and did not discuss it with me.

I guess they were winging it too, because some things have not gone to plan, but they should have discussed with me instead of being confused on why I was flustered and confused on what to do. They were just doing what they want and I was confused what they were doing.

Overall, it went well. It was a great experience, not sure If I want to go through it again yet, I know I have to.

I have learnt a lot of things.

1. Its possible to do something especially if you work together and everyone does their job.
2. It's never wrong to ask (Let them get annoyed as long as you get the answers).
3. Don't wait to take the first step despite you being the only one who took a step.
4. Don't be afraid to be fucking afraid.

 

Comments

Popular Posts