Experience in London

Pussy cat, pussy cat, 
Where have you been?
"I've been to London to 
visit the Queen."
Pussy cat, pussy cat, 
What did you do there?
"I frightened a little mouse 
Under the chair."

I have been to London... I think mainly twice. Once when I was younger and another was more recent, two years ago.

I loved my experience in London. During any trip to a place, I really prefer to learn about their culture and history compared to just sight-seeing and shopping.

What's great about London is their historical buildings are still preserved. The tour guide said if we ever go back in time, we can still use the current map cause' the streets are the same since the Viking days or maybe even before that. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

First let me tell you my perspective of London when I was younger, though I may not remember much. Even when I was a child, I do love old tales. On London's tour buses, you can get free earphones and then plug them on the bus, and then you can get to know historical facts and stories as the bus moves.

My younger siblings were playing around while I was seriously listening, very much interested.

At London, you can just feel it's age and can totally imagine how it was many years ago.

When I was younger they would give tour packages for children, basically a book and other stuff. And I remember they didn't censor their history as they mentioned in the book that they beheaded people and then spiked their heads on sticks. And in the children's book, we could draw a head on the spike! Which now I think about it, as a child I didn't find that disturbing.

Early this year, I finished reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It's setting is in London! And as I was fortunate to have been there, it was easy to imagine. I can totally understand why he chose London as his premise as London is a mystical place.

These are the classic places to go:- (Which I talk in detail about as I don't remember much and I am kinda lazy)

-Big Ben. (Ok, so apparently that is the name of the bell in the clock tower, not the name of the tower itself)
-The London Eye.
-Madame Tussauds.
-Thames River.

Anyway now to the recent trip to London. I think one of the strangest things I saw was the blue chicken in front of the National Gallery of Art. Almost thought that was a joke. But it wasn't...

My family and I went to the London Eye, comparing it to Malaysia Eye; London eye is way bigger and feels more stable, you can also walk around. But of course, the last time I went to the Malaysia Eye it was in Malacca, now it is Kuala Lumpur, so who knows...

The tour guides on the bus were really funny. It seems, one of the things that the tour guide have to mention as we pass by the shop is that the queen actually buys her underwear there.

London is also beautiful at night. When my family and I was there, there was a lot of advertisement about The Night of the Museum; as they did the film in London.

Oh yes, this is just another random fact, but there is a lot of advertisement on buses and taxis.

I rather talk about small tidbits then talk about the scenery cause you could just google that.

Another classic spot to take pictures is the red telephone booth (which barely anyone uses anymore and basically just became a place where tourist take pictures, it was embarrassing cause the locals were staring as we were posing. My family wasn't the only foreigners that wanted a picture, fortunately) and the red postbox. 

I don't know what else to write. I may write again about London after a trip there so I have a more vivid memory. If I have the chance that is~

Comments

Popular Posts